ABOUT THE POSITION
The Transport Planning Consultant will play a key role to support conceptualization, design, and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. The Consultant’s primary work areas will include street design and technical analysis for BRT and public transport improvements. The Consultant also will assist with projects on parking management and urban development policy. The job will entail a significant amount of field and office work, including site visits and review of designs. S/He will monitor BRT project implementation in the city of Dar es salaam. S/he will work closely with governments, consultants, and partner organisations.
The Transport Planning Consultant will be based in Dar es Salaam and will report to the Africa Program Director. S/he will work closely with Tanzania Country manager, Nairobi office staff and international experts.
- Liaise with consultants to prepare conceptual designs for infrastructure elements along BRT corridors, including street cross sections, intersections, stations, and terminals.
- Facilitate training workshops for government officials and consultants.
- Review designs for ongoing BRT and street improvement projects.
- Monitor ongoing construction of DART and street improvement projects.
- Provide technical input on business planning and the industry transition for DART phases 1, 2, 3, and future phases,
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, including DART, TANROADS, PO-RALG, TARURA, MoW and project consultants.
- Help organise workshops and events.
- Assist in coordinating study tours to the DART system.
- Prepare ToRs for tasks related to mobility, land use, and parking.
- Participate in various studies as required.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in transport planning, transport engineering, city planning, or other relevant field required. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Two to three years of relevant professional experience.
- Familiarity with transport planning, including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning.
- Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Excel and Acess required.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and Swahili.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Ability to communicate well and make presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, even when under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
HOW TO APPLY
The salary will be commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to email@example.com with “Transport Planning Consultant, Tanzania” in the subject line:
- Samples of written and visual work
- An idea of improving the bus system in a city in Tanzania
- Resume and Cover Letter
The position will remain open until filled.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national
origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage
or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status,
unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other
status protected by applicable law