ABOUT THE POSITION
The Transport Planning Consultant will play a key role to support conceptualisation, design, and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. The Consultant’s primary work areas will include street design review, technical analysis for BRT and public transport improvements, bikeshare planning, and TOD assessments.
The job will entail a significant amount of field work, including site visits and surveys. The Consultant will work closely with governments, consultants, and partner organisations. The Transport Planning Consultant will be based in Addis Ababa and will report to the Country Manager, Ethiopia. The candidate will work closely with ITDP staff and international experts.
- Review designs for ongoing BRT and street improvement projects. Liaise with consultants to prepare conceptual designs for infrastructure elements along BRT corridors, including street cross sections, intersections, stations, and terminals.
- Monitor ongoing construction of the BRT B2 project and street improvement projects.
- Provide technical input on business planning and the industry transition for BRT projects.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, including MoT, FTA, AACRA, TMA, AATB, regional transport offices, and project consultants.
- Conduct surveys and site visits.
- Prepare plans, designs, and reports for sustainable urban mobility projects.
- Prepare TORs for studies related to mobility and urban development.
- Help organise training workshops for government officials and consultants.
- Other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in transport planning, transport engineering, city planning, or other relevant field required.
- Two to three years of relevant professional experience.
- Familiarity with transport planning, including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning.
- Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Microsoft Excel and Access required.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and Amharic.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Ability to communicate well and make presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, even when under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
HOW TO APPLY
The salary will be commensurate with experience. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to email@example.com with “Transport Planning Consultant, Ethiopia” in the subject line:
- Resume and cover letter
- Samples of written and visual work
- An idea about improving the bus system in a city in Ethiopia
The position will remain open until filled.