About the position
Based in Kigali, Rwanda, the Country Manager will play a key role in the conceptualisation, design, and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. The Consultant’s work areas will include public transport, street design, parking management, and urban development policy. The job will entail a significant amount of fieldwork, including site visits and surveys. The Consultant will analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation. The Consultant will work closely with governments, consultants, and partner organisations. The Consultant will be based in Kigali and will report to the Africa Program Director and will work closely with head office staff, international experts, United Nations entities, and partner organisations.
- Work with governments, public transport authorities, and other bodies to collect, process, and analyse transport data.
- Plan and design non-motorised transport facilities.
- Prepare feasibility reports for transport systems.
- Gather information on international best practices in transport system design and apply lessons learned locally.
- Maintain working relationships with national and local government officials, private sector counterparts, and NGO partners.
- Represent ITDP in meetings with civil society and government partners.
- Work with the Communications Team to create communications materials that facilitate implementation of ITDP initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A master’s degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, city planning, or other relevant field.
- 4-5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in Kinyarwanda and English.
- Familiarity with transport planning including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning. Knowledge of transport modelling is preferred.
- Excellent Excel, Access, CAD, and GIS software skills required.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
- Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful project outcomes.
- Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations.
- Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure and keep to deadlines.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
How to apply
Note, this position is limited to a term of twelve months and is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to email@example.com with “Transport Planning Consultant, Kigali” in the subject line:
- Samples of written work: thesis abstract, technical reports, etc.
- Samples of visual representations such as GIS maps or infographics.
- A one-page note on improving the bus system in your city (with three specific interventions).
We are unable to consider applications without the above details. Applications should be submitted by 17:00 EAT on 20 Sep 2021.