ABOUT THE POSITION
The Transport Planning Intern will provide support to the Country Manager, Rwanda, over a three- to six-month period, in the form of street designs, field surveys, data analysis, mapping, and report preparation. Potential project areas will include BRT, complete streets, parking management, e-mobility, and urban development. The intern will also be involved in the preparation of an urban street design manual and an NMT master plan for Kigali. The specific focus area can be tailored to the interests of the Intern. The Transport Planning Intern will be based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will report to the Country Manager, Rwanda.
- Design and carry out transport surveys.
- Collect, process, and analyse transport data.
- Assist with mapping and setup of transport models.
- Preparation of conceptual designs for walking and cycling facilities and BRT corridors.
- Prepare project reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in sustainable transport.
- Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Acess required.
- Familiarity with transport planning, including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Excellent writing skills in English. Kinyarwanda skills are preferred.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Excellent research and analytical skills; enjoy working with numbers!
- Ability to communicate well, make powerful presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, even when under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
A monthly commuter stipend will be paid to the selected candidate. To apply, send a resume, samples of written and visual work, and an idea for improving the bus system in your city to email@example.com.