About the position
The Senior Associate, Transport Systems will be based in Cairo, Egypt and will play a key role in supporting the planning, design, and implementation of public transport systems in African cities. The Senior Associate, Transport Systems, will be involved in preparing public transport service plans, infrastructure designs, business plans, financial models, and industry reform strategies, among other activities. The job will entail a significant amount of field work, including site visits and surveys. The Senior Associate, Transport Systems is expected to maintain close relations with national and local officials. The Senior Associate, Transport Systems will collaborate with governments, consultants, communities, and partner organisations.
The Senior Associate, Transport Systems will report to the Transport Systems Manager, working closely with ITDP staff and international experts.
- Conceptualise, draft, and review technical documents, including feasibility studies, concept notes, service plans, design documents, financial assessments, business plans, and terms of reference.
- Develop travel demand and traffic models.
- Analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation.
- Gather information on international best practices and apply lessons learned locally.
- Effectively engage with a range of stakeholders including public transport operators, civic officials, politicians, civil society agents, media, and others to help build support for sustainable and equitable mobility.
- Facilitate training for internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare progress reports, communications materials, and other ad hoc reporting.
- Contribute to funding proposals.
- Perform any other task assigned
- Master’s degree in transport planning, transport engineering, civil engineering, urban planning or other relevant field.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience.
- Familiarity with survey design, data collection, data processing, transport modelling, infrastructure design, and public transport industry reform.
- Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Excel. Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations. Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages, verbally and in writing.
- Team player who excels at building trusting relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
- Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful outcomes.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure, and keep to deadlines.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Availability to travel frequently.
How to apply
Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Associate, Transport Systems, Cairo” in the subject line:
- Resume and cover letter.
- Portfolio of GIS maps and/or Autocad designs
- Write up on improving the transport system in Cairo..
This position is for a fixed term of one year and carries no expectation of extension. The position will remain open until filled.